Sunday, September 7, 2008

Rent


Rent (2005)
Seen on DVD 4th September 2008

Musicals! YAY!

STORY: 5/7
- (I don't own emotion, I rent)
Well... it basically a "funky" 'La Boheme' (the opera by Puccini)
It is a year in the life of a group of friends living in New York City. They have to deal with relationships, break ups, getting jobs, writing songs, drug addictions, HIV/AIDS, death, and paying their rent. It's a really touching story with AWESOME cool music driving it forward.

ACTING: 5/7
- (I'm looking for baggage that goes with mine)

The cast of the movie is made up of a bunch of the actors who took the roles on BROADWAY! Which is a very cool thing because it means they know the character inside out and can portray them on film very well. The stand out for me would probably be Rosario Dawson though, who is brand new to the production. Her 'Mimi' is so confident and loud but when itcomes to the crunch, she is a frail and scared little girl.

Rosario Dawson 'shaking it' as Mimi
at the strip joint: The Cat Scratch Club


CINE / VISUAL EFFECTS: 5.5/7
- (There will always be women in rubber flirting with me)

Very cool looking movie. It looks very sharp and edgy (if that makes any sense.) I'm starting to think that writing about the cinematography of every film is a BAD choice because i don't actually know anything about it.

SCORE / SOUND: ??
I don't know if there is really much score to talk about outside of the songs...

So:

SONGS: 6/7
- (There's only us, There's only this, Forget regret, Or life is your to miss)
If you're anything like me, you won't be able to help but sing along... LOUDLY! All of the songs are either FUN FUN FUN and will makie you wanna dance, or they are GORGEOUS ballads that will tear your heart into pieces.

Idina Menzel as Maureen (Tango Maureen)


Special Appearance!
Stand-up star Sarah Silverman makes a cameo as an executive at "Buzzline."

QUOTE:
How much did I love your footage? So much!
It reminded me of my Berkeley days
Fighting the good fight. Kudos. Kudos.




OVERALL: 6/7

- (Five hundred twenty-five thousand six hundred minutes)

No comments: